Thursday, November 7, 2013

I'm not quite sure why people avoid going to the doctor, but it seems to be a phenomena that a big percentage of humans deal with. If you're sick, and you have the money to afford being checked up by a doctor or midwife, doesn't it make sense to just go see one, or by choice you avoid that visit at all costs out of that factor of "I really hate going to the doctor" as reason enough to not get well?
I just don't get that, never will. It's not like anyone actually enjoys going to a doctor office and wait for the cobwebs to build up before you finally get into the examination room/office for the doctor or nurse to look at you and figure out why you're there. That's without the exception to hypochondriacs who are always looking for new ways to dramatize their impending death.

My dad always told me his reason for not wanting to go was the smells. I can certainly see that point, the sterilization and cleaning products used do give off a scent that is most unsettling even to me. It's as if germs are not even allowed a fighting chance to exist, and yet they do in that environment.
I have never put off going to a doctor unless I absolutely had no way of paying for the visit, if it was a matter of not being able to afford the medications I dealt with that at a later point.

It just always seems to me that a reason for not going vs a need to go, always ends up the same most of the time. The person refusing to go can afford the visit, they just choose to not go. The ones who need to see a doctor have to wait or put it off longer than they want to because there is a lack of money to pay for the visit. There are cheap clinics to go to, but even then one has to wait to get an appointment scheduled or they can't afford that price either, and it's not very expensive, just not something easily taken from a purse or wallet.

There might be another reason a person would avoid a doctor's office and that is something they dealt with growing up. A relative died as a result of staying in the hospital or they couldn't be cured of what they have, so a doctor is the blame. The person actually spent time in a hospital and saw more than their share of doctors, that any illness that would require medicine and a check to make sure it's nothing more, they would choose to forgo the visit all together and suffer through it. Then there is a last reasoning, the person just simply does not want to go, there is no founded reasoning either. There is a phobia for this phenomena, it's called Iatrophobia.

It just doesn't make sense to me even with those points presented, why someone would choose to not see a doctor to be treated when they clearly see it's more than just an ache, pain, fever, coughing, etc. I have to call stupid for that one because if you don't care about your health why bother attempting to live healthy by diet or exercise, if forgoing a trip to the doctor when you're sick or a checkup is in order. I get that people can't help what they're afraid of, but come on now get real. Nobody likes going to the freaking doctor, ever! Hi doc I really like what' you've done with the place, maybe next month I can swing by and we can look at those anatomical charts you have in the closet, that would just be swell! NOT! It ain't happening, never ever ever! geesh

Forget about getting glasses and your teeth fixed too. If you can't handle going to see a doctor for maintenance or getting healthy again, don't bother with those two either. I mean it's a given your eyes and teeth also are part of your overall health. Once again, if you can't afford it that's understandable, but to not do it just because you don't want to and you know you can pay is just s-t-o-o-p-i-d!!!!! Or maybe I have my own bias about this situation because for years I've had to put off going to a doctor when I was sick and finally went to the ER (we all know how those bills are), and still couldn't do a follow up because I had no doctor at the time. The eyes and teeth falling behind on checkups and maintenance for the same reason. You will never see me refusing to do any of those in the future if I can pay for it or get assistance because it's just not an option to fuck off on your own health, I don't care who you are. Blah blah blah rant! This just gets under my skin and pisses me right off to know someone could have been worse off than they are because "they didn't wanna go see a doctor". Grow up already and just do it whiner!

Waits patiently for the idiots to walk by so I can trip them with my shadow. Mmhm..they're always coming around, just never know when.

No comments:

Post a Comment